CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 26, 2008

Bears


BEARS
One of the greatest experiences of my adult life was participating in Wood Badge, which is Boy Scout adult leader training. In Wood Badge, the course participants are divided into patrols,named after various animals.
I, of course belong to the Bear patrol.
My totem is Ursa Major, with the North Star as my focal point.
The theme song for the Woodbadge program is "Back to Gilwell", which refers to Gilwell Park, at Epping Forest outside London, given to the Boy Scouts by Lord MacLaren. The lyrics include the following:
"I used to be a Bear, and a good old Bear too, but now I finished Bearing, I don't know what to do. I'm growing old and feeble, and I can Bear no more, so I'[m going to work my ticket if I can;
(Chorus) Back to Gilwell, happy land, I'm going to work my ticket if I can."
Internationally known as one of the best leadership training courses, Wood Badge provides an opportunity for Adult Scout leaders to take what you learn and set significant goals for yourself. Upon successful completion of this "ticket" you are awarded your Wood Badge beads, a representation of the handcarved African tokens that Lord Baden Powell, the founder of the Scouting movement brought back with him to England from his adventures in the Boer Wars.
True to form, the Bear has become an important symbol to me. I have numerous carved, sculpted and painted Bears adorning home and office.

1 comment:

Matt Clayton said...

I used to be an EAGLE, and a Good 'ol Eagle too, But now I'm finished Eagling, I don't know what to do.
I'm growing old and feeble and I can Eagle no more. So I am going to work my ticket if I can.

Back to Gilwell, Happy Land; I'm going to work my ticket if I can.